When I am feeling on the low side each month, usually around that time when I find out again that I am not pregnant, again, I try to remind myself about the positives. Other people like to remind me of the things I should enjoy while I don’t have children (mainly sleep). So I am taking their lead and writing my own list.
1) I get to sleep in. While mothers all over the world complain about their 5am wake up calls I am still sleeping. In fact, I am taking advantage of this and sleeping in until 11am. I love sleep! Don’t hate me because I am well rested (insert evil laugh here).
2) I stay up late because I want to. While we are on the subject of 5am wake up calls, sometimes that is when I go to bed. Trust me, this is a very rare occurrence because, as we just discovered, I love sleeping, but I can do it if I want to.
3) I get to eat any of the food in my house by myself. With a picky husband who only eats pop tarts, chicken patties and Raman noodles (all things I do not eat) everything in my pantry and refrigerator is mine. I don’t have to share it with anyone.
4) I don’t have to eat half eaten, slobbery scraps left behind by the masters, I mean kids. (see #3)
5) My house is fairly clean, or as clean as I need it to be, without a toy in site.
6) I can stay late at a friend’s house without worrying about getting home to pay the babysitter.
7) I can decide last minute that I want to go out with my friends without having to make any plans.
8) I spend hours on my hobbies without distractions (if you don’t count the cat trying to lay on my keyboard while I am typing).
9) I sit on airplanes and read books. No little kids to keep entertained for fear of upsetting the other passengers.
10) I can take trips all over the world. Most of these trips have been for school and are just in the US, but we plan on going to India this winter.
Now before you start getting all resentful of my wonderful childfree life you should know that I would give every last one of these up for a chance at being a mother, but today I needed a little pick me up.