Monday, June 20, 2011

Finally Home

I just got back from a week long trip up north to attend my sister-in-law's graduation from Vet school, and my husband's graduation from graduate school. Congratulations! You can now call me Mrs. Doctor Adams. After all of the excitement, visiting with family, seeing my friends, for the first time in my life I was excited to come back home.

When I was a kid I used to take summer trips to stay with my sister in Chicago. Some of those trips started as weekend family vacations, and only morphed into summer trips due to my inconsolable crying as we loaded into the car. I didn't want to go home. I have never wanted to go home. Everywhere else in the world was more exciting than home. Ultimately, my parents would let me stay with my sister, and I would happily wave goodbye as the rest of the family drove away.

This desire to be anywhere but home has carried into adulthood. I finally achieved my dream of living in Chicago (well, the suburbs), but every time we went to visit family back in Ohio I would never want to leave. I would never want to go home.

Now, I never want to leave this house. I feel like crying whenever I leave it. Maybe this honeymoon phase will end, maybe I will want to be anywhere but here some day, but right now this place feels more like "home" than anywhere else in the world. We are finally home, and I never want to leave.

As you can see, the animals love it too.





Inside pictures to come, as soon as I finish unpacking.

No comments: